Lemons are a great citrus for summer drinks! But lemons are for more than eating, the acidity makes them a very usable option for cleaning. Lemons are the magical cleaning fruit and can be used for antibacterial, stain removal & even neutralizing odors! Here are some easy and healthy ways to use lemons as a cleaning agent.
Naturally Clean and Sanitize Your Garbage Disposal
1. Lemon and Vinegar Ice Cubes
What You’ll need:
- 1-2 Lemons
- 3-4 Cups of White Vinegar
- 1-2 Ice cube Trays
- Cut your lemons and put each piece into the ice cube mold.
- Fill each mold with vinegar
- Place Tray in freezer
Every few days throw a 1 or 2 Ice cubes into your garbage disposal and let the cubes do their magic! The Citrus and Vinegar will rid the disposal of any unsavory odors. If citrus peels are unavailable, orange or lemon extract will do the trick!
Clean, Deodorize and Condition Wood Cutting Boards
2. Lemon & Salt Wood Cutting Board Cleaner
Wood cutting boards are great but cleaning them without using harsh chemicals and cleaners. Lemons are perfect for cleaning wood cutting boards. They disinfect and you never have to worry about contaminating food with dangerous chemicals.
What You’ll Need:
- Coarse Salt
- 1 Large Lemon
- Warm Water
- Sprinkle the cutting board with coarse salt.
- With a lemon half scour the surface while squeezing slightly to release juice.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Scrape off all residue left on the board.
- Then rinse with warm water.
3. Lemon Fresh Microwave Steam
Cleaning a microwave is definitely on the list of things that we all dread doing. But with this easy Do It Yourself cleaner your microwave will be clean and fresh without the struggle or scrubbing with harsh chemicals.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Microwave Safe Bowl
- 1 Slice of Lemon
- White Vinegar
- Water (Enough to fill the bowl)
- Slice one lemon and place them in a microwave safe bowl filled with water.
- Add a splash of vinegar.
- Place the bowl in the microwave on high for five minutes.
- After the five minutes are up let it sit for a few more minutes.
- Carefully remove the bowl then wipe down the inside with a damp cloth.
- Enjoy your clean and fresh-smelling microwave!
All-Purpose Natural Kitchen Cleaner
4. Lemon Herb All Purpose Cleaner
Finding a natural nontoxic kitchen cleansers can be difficult. Finding the right brand can be difficult, some may suggest using vinegar for cleaning kitchen surfaces, but vinegar isn’t always a pleasant smell. Citrus cleaners are definitely a better solution!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Lemon peels
- White vinegar
- 1 large mason jar with lid
- Fine Mesh Sieve Bowl
- Spray Bottle
- Whenever you use a lemon, remember to save the peels in the mason jar.
- As you add peels and rosemary add vinegar to the peels and herbs and let them sit for 2 weeks. The longer the mixture sits, the more the mixture will be infused with citrus.
- After the 2 weeks are up, using the sieve, remove the liquid from the jar and discard the peels
- Pour the cleaner into the spray bottle and get ready to use!